Friday, October 27, 2017

Continuing To Dance

              As I have read and contemplated on turning towards this week. I have thought about the many things we turn towards or turn away from. We are meant to turn towards the Lord and turn away from sin. We turn our hearts towards our ancestors and turn away from worldly distractions.  As we seek to turn towards the good and away from the negative influences our lives become more meaningful and more purposeful. This week as I have worked with the intention to turn towards my husband I have realized how much I miss opportunities by either intentionally or unintentionally turning away. In the hustle and bustle of everyday life, seeking to meet the demands and responsibility of raising a family we allow ourselves to become separated by our individual roles. I liked the imagery of marriage being like a dance. Life pulls us apart and yet as we turn towards each other we find the familiar pull that brings us closer together, always finding a way to stay connected as the dance moves along.  
            Turning towards each other requires deliberate attention, actions, thoughtfulness, and the turning away from one’s own self-interest to meet the needs of the other. As I have focused and strived to noticed my husband’s bids and my responses, I have realized how many I miss an opportunity to turn towards him due to distraction. Learning to put aside or to notice the little things takes effort, but that effort produces far greater rewards and a far more beautiful dance.

References
Gottman, J. M., & Silver, N. (2015). The Seven Principles for Making Marriage  Work: A Practical Guide from the Country's Foremost Relationship Expert. New York: Harmony Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment