Thursday, November 2, 2017

No Room for Pride

          Pride is the first to the scene, yet always the last to be blamed. As I have looked back and focused on the little ways pride creeps into not only our hearts but into how we respond and treat those closest to us. Pride is not only self-destructive in nature it can destroy not only us but also filters down into our lives like the mist of darkness mentioned by Lehi in the Book of Mormon. As I read President Kimball’s talk on pride, I realized that over time I have let my defensive down and have let little bits of pride run rampant in my heart. I have not kept my heart humble. I have let pride cloaked in many disguises waltz right in like an invited guest. I have let it into not only my heart but also my home and marriage.
        Quoting from President Kimball he states, “When pride has a hold on our hearts, we lose our independence of the world and deliver our freedoms to the bondage of men’s judgment. The world shouts louder than the whisperings of the Holy Ghost. The reasoning of men overrides the revelations of God, and the proud let go of the iron rod”. Letting go of the iron rod should never be an option. We convince ourselves that something else has become more important that firmly holding on. In James C. Christensen’s painting “Hold to the Rod” we get the perfect imagery of what we weigh ourselves down with to the point that we no longer have hands to spare to hold to the iron rod. In marriage, it could be, our plans, our goals, our inability to forgive, our bitter words, our personal preferences, or our self-righteousness.
        Putting other’s needs, wants, and desires above our own do not make us less. It makes us more. More charitable, more compassionate, more Christlike. This week I have dug deep and found some things that I just don’t like about me. I am proud though I long to be humble. Each day affords me the opportunity to start anew, and each time I call upon Heavenly Father for help in granting me the gift of true humility I get one step closer and my grasp on the rod becomes a little firmer.


No comments:

Post a Comment